Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Surfrider Foundation Selects Graphic Design Student’s Work as 25th Anniversary Logo

When Jeremy Godinez walked into his Design Team I class last fall, he had no idea that one of his designs would be seen on t-shirts and sweatshirts and sold all over the world.

The Surfrider Foundation partnered with the class through The Art Institute of California – Orange County Community Arts Resource Exchange program (CARE). Through CARE, students are paired with nonprofit clients to provide pro bono design services and gain real world experience. Students were asked to design a logo for Surfrider’s 25th anniversary.

“When I saw that there was a chance to design the Surfrider Foundation logo, I knew that was the project I wanted to land,” said Jeremy. “Surfrider liked the initial concept I pitched and then I spent 13 weeks refining it.”

Jeremy had to compete against his fellow classmates for the chance to design the logo. This type of healthy competition is designed to replicate the real world experience of preparing a proposal to win a new client.

“Nothing feels better than knowing your design is appreciated, especially when it is being sold as a limited edition apparel and print graphic,” said Jeremy, who graduated with his bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design in Spring 2009. “This assignment was the key reason I landed the job I have today and the experience of seeing my work published for the very first time is something I’ll never forget.”

Students, if you’ve had a great experience with the clients you’ve worked with in Design Team I or Design Team II, please contact Tricia Cook at tcook@aii.edu to share your story.

Nonprofit organizations interested in applying for pro bono design work can learn more about the CARE program here.

No comments:

Post a Comment